I recently got Windows 7 x64 installed on my laptop, and as per information from HP LoadRunner v9.52 does NOT work with Windows 7, let alone x64 – So I got myself a Virtual Machine installed, where I have Win XP x86 for LoadRunner work.
Beeing a person who believes software should work in diverse environments, I also tried installing LoadRunner on the Win 7 machine, specifically Analysis and VuGen as I do scripting with the laptop, no controller was needed. So I set out to install it and also did a few tricks on the way, things I knew would not work or had to be changed.
In short the following actions where taken during installation:
- Install v9.50 into C:\USERS\[Username]\HP instead of standard Program Files directory
- This because VuGen writes to INI files etc. all the time it needs write access to the install folder
- Install v9.51 upgrade patch
- After v9.51 upgrade patch, modify registry as per Richard Bishops blog entry Installing LoadRunner on 64 bit Windows
- In addition to Bishops instructions:
- Make sure the“HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Mercury interactive” key is NOT MOVED but COPIED to the “HKLM\Software\Mercury Interactive” key !! If moved v9.52 patching won’t work as it checks BOTH keys for the existence of v9.51!
- Also make sure the values in both keys “…\Mercury Interactive\LoadRunner\CurrentVersion” are as follows:
- DisplayName = “HP LoadRunner Software 9.51”
- Minor = “51”
- Install v9.52 upgrade patch
- Install IE8 upgrade Patch
- When starting VuGen it complained about the WebAEDUI.DLL. I replaced this with another older version of the DLL from v9.51 .. 🙂 And the complaints where gone!
At this point to Analysis worked 100%, and VuGen worked all the way to the point where a web function was called. The call itself worked, and the result was retrieved but alas, the HTML parser failed with a critical exception error. So still I had not achieved 100% VuGen, but I was able to record, and replay non-html pages fine.
Now last Tuesday, Microsoft released a massive patch pack (some 29 fixes I think it was) and just by accident I was demonstrating Analysis and VuGen to a friend – and TO MY GREAT SURPRISE VuGen now replayed and parsed text/html content 100% ! So now I have myself a fully working LR v9.52 installation, and no longer see any immediate need to upgrade to the new ALM v11 just because people switch to Win 7.
- After having tried installing VuGen on other Win7 machines, both x32 and x64 I’ve experienced that the Reply still does not work as it should, and fails with an Exception. I think the problem is related somehow with the registration of the “RTBComm.dll” and “LrwRTBSyncObject.DLL” components.
- In the original installation also had these problems, but as the patch-set from Microsoft was applied it apparently fixed this registration issue.. So now I’m still not able to get it working on most machines. Only one other Win7 x32 has gotten it working so far (was not done by me)..
- If you people out there get it working, please let me know HOW it was done and WHAT was done to make it work! Thank You!